Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Death Road Adventures

Before I start this blog I'd like to apologize to each and every one of you (Todd) for the lack of blogging in the last few days. Internet in Bolivia has proven difficult. 

Now let me tell you about Sunday, for it was quite a day. 

Sunday morning we spontaneously awoke at 6 and decided it was about time to mountain bike down the Death Road. And so we set off for breakfast before loading up into a bus full of adventure seekers from around the world and two awesome guides. 

A little over an hour later, when the guide called my name first to get my gear and bike, I realized what I'd signed up for. As I test rode my bike around the parking area and remembered that I hadn't ridden a bike on anything but flat desert road in over two years, and mentally smacked myself. 



Once we were all set up with equipment, we set off in a single file line down a slightly wet road nearly entirely covered in fog and true to form Jeannie seemed cool while I reevaluated my life choices and tried not to scream. 

The first 22 km were paved and without many obstacles. We took several breaks to check in and rest and after about an hour, I was beginning to feel like perhaps I wouldn't hit my front breaks, flip over my bike and break my jaw on six places. I was nearly certain it would only be four places. 

Of course this was when we made it to the actual Death Road, entirely gravel and not entirely friendly looking. As the guide asked if we were ready to get going, Jeannie mounted her bike and declared she was. The guide then looked at me and I made a series of noises and mumbled to myself while getting on my bike. He looked worried for a moment but Jeannie explained,

"She's fine, just dramatic,"



We took the road in sections, stopping every twenty minutes to regroup. We encountered waterfalls and the constant reminder of a very steep edge that would likely bring...well, death...if we got too close. 

When we finally made it to the end, beer was waiting for us. We all enjoyed and shared our experiences and thoughts before being ferried to an animal reserve where we had lunch (not the animals) and hot showers before getting back on the bus and riding the three hours back to La Paz, tired but happy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment